Friday, August 6, 2010

Where'd all the time go?

It's August? Really? It can't be. Wasn't it just May yesterday?! I think it's flown by because I've been out trying to make the most of every hot, sunny moment. There's been so much...a wedding, several camping trips, Duck Lake, an in-law visit, several trips to Connecticut, cookouts, cocktail hours, farmer's markets. Lots of good meals. Tons of good meals! I feel like I've been a cooking fiend, which is so deeply satisfying, especially considering all the good company with which I've been able to dine. But oh, the food. The grilled rack of lamb, the pan seared pollack over a white bead puree, the slow-smoked ribs, gazpacho, the salads made from ingredients still in the ground not 5 minutes before, and so much more. We have eaten well, to be sure.

And there's sure to be more. Summer isn't over yet! I'm keeping a mental list of things I want to do before the warm weather disappears. On that list? Gathering a bucket of periwinkles to enjoy with a cold bottle of white wine in the waning summer light, making and canning jam, homemade popcicles, escaping to Cape Cod to swim in the ocean, dining al fresco whenever I can, just to name a few.

Also on that list, cooking with fresh local ingredients as much as I possibly can, especially when they're from my own garden. Speaking of that garden, I've planted more cucumbers than I know what to do with. I love a simple sliced cuke with a pinch of salt, but I'm a little burned out. I need ideas. I need recipes. Interesting ways to use them up. My latest comes from Christine, who suggested using them in place of tomatoes for a salsa. Brilliant! And beautiful! I used this salsa to top grilled chicken and also to throw in fajitas. I bet it would go great with fish. Or chips. Or just a spoon!




Cucumber Salsa

1 cucumber, diced
half a red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
2 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob and blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
juice from half a lime
a pinch of salt
maybe a little cumin if you have it

Mix all ingredients and let mingle in the fridge for a bit.

Super easy! Super delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment